Search the Site:
Screven County Community Network - A Project of the Screven-Jenkins Regional Library System PageHeader2

Contact Us
County Map
Community
Calendar
History
Media
Organizations
Recreation
Religion
Seniors
Education Elementary School Middle School High School Private School Continuing Education Screven County Library Government Screven County City Governments Business Health Site Map Visitor's Center

 

Local History

Annual Memorial Day

Observance Ceremony

 Monday, May 18, 2009

 at 10a.m.

First Baptist Church Family Life Center

 

The 3rd Infantry Division of Fort Stewart,

Georgia, has participated in this event for

many years and will again be represented

during the ceremony. The Screven County

Middle School students will read the names

of our fallen soldiers. Our local government,

Daughters of the American Revolution and

Military Retirees Association will present

wreaths on this special occasion.

Sponsored by the Screven County

Military Retirees Association and

the Screven County Chamber of Commerce

 

Arthur Gross Maps----coming soon

 

The Battle of Brier Creek

 

The Dell-Goodall House

 

The Georgia Civil War Heritage Trail

 

Screven County History

 

Screven County Historical Markers

 

Screven County Post Cards

 

Genealogy

 

The Dixon Hollingsworth Collection


SCREVEN COUNTY HISTORY TIMELINE
4000 to 6000 BC
Archaic Period
The first more or less permanent settlers in Screven County
1000 to 2000 BC
Woodland Period
800 AD
Mississippian Period
1540
Hernando De Soto passed through Screven County
October 1674
Henry Woodward, a ship's surgeon, was the first white man to set foot in what is now Screven County with the Westo Indians.
Prior to 1700
The Yuchi American Indians lived between the Savannah and Ogeechee rivers and on both sides of Briar Creek. They came from the Tennessee River around 1715.
Prior to 1750
A few white traders ventured into the territory.
1752
A German settlement was established by Dr. Johann Chistoph Bornemann, called New Goettingen.
1758
What was then known as Screven County was divided into two parishes, St. Matthew's, which is now Effingham County, and St. George's, which is now Burke County.
1763
The Indians ceded the land between the Savannah and the Ogeechee rivers to the white man.
1775
Population was 2380 white inhabitants and 1066 African-Americans. Settlers came from South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia and Pennsylvania.
January 12, 1775
Screven County's first white child was born at the New Goettingen settlement, Henrietta Bornemann.
March 3, 1779
Battle of Briar Creek
1784
Georgia land law made free land available.
1791
President George Washington visited the area.
December 14, 1793
Screven County was created by the Georgia legislature from the lower part of Burke County and the upper part of Effingham County. The first county seat was in Rocky Ford.
February 1, 1797
Jacksonborough was designated the county seat.
1799
Jacksonborough was created.
1815
Dell-Goodall House was built.
1843
The railroad was built from Savannah to Macon through Screven County.
December 24, 1847
Sylvania was created by the legislature.
August 10, 1848
A U.S. Post Office was established in Sylvania.
December 3, 1864
General William Tecumseh Sherman entered Screven County and burned the railroad depot at Millen and marched through Screven County into Bulloch County, destroying the railroad as they went.
1879
Sylvania Telephone newspaper began.
January 8, 1897
Fire destroyed Sylvania's downtown business district.
1897
The new brick Screven County Courthouse was built.
1904
Jenkins County was created out of portions of Screven, Burke, Bulloch and Emanuel counties.
1947
Sylvania celebrated its Centennial.
1953
First Annual Screven County Livestock Festival.

 

Local History

 

The Battle of Brier Creek

 

The Dell-Goodall House

 

The Georgia Civil War Heritage Trail

 

Screven County History

 

Screven County Historical Markers

 

Screven County Post Cards

 

Genealogy

 

The Dixon Hollingsworth Collection